Did you know we featured real medical professionals in our Classics campaign? Now we’re giving you the opportunity to learn more about each of these amazing individuals. Get to know Moera Coleen M.
First off, tell us a little bit about you.
I was born in the Philippines and came to the United States when I was 9 years old. I’m an RN and I work in Clinical Management for a Home Health Company.
Why did you become a nurse?
I became a nurse because that’s the profession that I saw all my aunts and uncles close to me had. Almost the whole community I grew up in were nurses. For awhile, I didn’t know that I could be anything else.
What does a typical shift look like for you (if there even is one)?
A typical shift to me is different than that of a hospital nurse. I come to work at 7am and leave around 3pm during the weekdays. I’m trying to make a transition in my life so I can morph work and completing my life goals better.
We know “a day in the life of a nurse” is challenging. What keeps you going back? What’s your daily motivation?
There are coworkers that I love working with, but most of all, I love working with my patients. Many times the paperwork, legalities and charting take away from the one-on-one time—which is all of healthcare nowadays. But seeing my patients improve, seeing them able to get back to their life after the hospital, is my job as a nurse. I love being able to teach and educate the patients so that they are able to get back into their home routine and take their medications at the right time. I also refer them to the proper therapists to further aid them.
How would your coworkers describe you at work?
That I am incredibly organized.
What advice would you give to an aspiring nurse?
- It’s worth it. All those sleepless nights of studying and all the notes to cram … well, learn them well. The information you learn will help you truly and correctly care for your future patients.
- It’s about the patients. Don’t forget about them. Learn to do those “other things” efficiently so you are able to spend more time with your patients. Doing a whole lot of good for other people does a whole lot of good for yourself, too.
What is some medical advice you’d give to your younger self?
- Consistency is key. Learn this now. You will thank yourself later.
- 6 months of hardcore focus and alignment can put you 5 years ahead in life. Don’t underestimate the power of consistency and desire.
- You have what it takes to be the best you can be.
- Don’t ever doubt yourself.
What’s something about the medical profession that they DON’T tell you when you’re in school? What surprised you the most?
There are many nursing jobs that are not 12 hours. I am mostly interested in the business aspect and being able to help patients in one-on one terms. What surprised me the most was how many ways someone can morph business and nursing together into one world that you can create on your own.
How do you find balance with the demands of your career?
Learning to prioritize what is important to you and making sure you consistently do those things is what helps me find balance in the demands of my career and life outside of that.
- I am a believer in work hard, play hard. Always reward yourself for a job well done. It doesn’t have to be big or grand, but something as simple as giving yourself time to light a candle, put on a face mask and read a book for 30 minutes is something you NEED to prioritize as well.
- Work is work. But as a nurse, we have careers that still give us time to have life outside our jobs. That is a blessing and opportunity we need to give ourselves and use it wisely.
You’re one of our team members for our new Classics collection. What do you think about these scrubs?
I love the new Classics collection! The colors are the main colors that many hospitals use. Even my nurse friends all the way across the country are able to purchase Jaanuu scrubs because of the size, style and color that Jaanuu Classics offers.
When people ask me about the scrubs that I wear and challenge me with questions like, “My work has scrubs guidelines that I have to follow” or “I’m taller than you, do they have pants that will fit me?” or “I am more petite than you, do they have sizes for me?” or “I want lots of pockets for my pants but not my top, do they have scrubs for that?”. All these questions can be answered with the Jaanuu Classics collection alone.
How did it feel being part of this campaign?
I am SO honored to have been part of this campaign. This whole experience was new to me and opened my eyes to a different world, to the other side of those who make and design the scrubs that I wear every day. I enjoyed every part of it and I love being able to collaborate and work with fellow nurses and other medical workers who have similar goals in mind—to not just help and inspire their patients, but also the people outside of their respective jobs using social media.
Follow Coleen: @moera.coleen