Whether your gym requires masks or you simply feel more comfortable wearing them when working out , we get it. As medical professionals, not only do we understand, we also consider ourselves experts on the subject. After all, we produce our own line of antimicrobial finished face masks perfect for any occasion, whether you’re on the job or working out.
In this article, we’ll answer all your questions on masking while you’re on the go and give you guidance on how to choose the best face covering for whatever kind of exercise you do.
If you’re just here for essential advice, we’ll quickly break it down for you:
The best mask for the gym is the one you feel most comfortable in, but it should also be breathable, washable, protective and (dare we say?) fashionable.
Read on to learn all you need to know before making this essential purchase.
How to choose a face mask for working out
When looking for the best masks to work out in, you’ll want to run your options through some key criteria. Here are some pro tips,
- Look for breathability: Avoid masks made of fabrics that don’t breathe well, like leather, vinyl and denim. “Getting in some cardio” needn’t include trapping all that aerobic movement in your mask.
- Get the right fit: Masks serve a purpose: to protect you from germs. So, a mask isn’t doing its job if it doesn’t fit snugly. Look for masks that sit tight to your face but comfortably, as well.
- Prioritize comfort: We can’t stress this enough because working out (at least some days) can already be stressful. You’ll need a mask that’s comfortable so that you don’t feel its presence throughout your workout session, especially if you’re doing a type of activity that’s meant to help you relax, like yoga.
- Get a reusable mask: Some single-use masks are fine for working out, but disposable varieties aren’t always the most comfortable or ecologically friendly. Try to find a washable mask that you like using and don’t mind bringing with you on your many workout endeavors.
- Don’t underestimate aesthetics: We’re all about looking great in and out of the workplace. If you want to feel your best, even when masking, buy a face covering that you like putting on because it looks good, matches your style and combines well with your workout wardrobe. Stock up on a few different colors of masks so that you can have fun rotating them throughout the week.
Here are some of the top athletic face masks brands, according to experts.
- Under Armour: The UA Sportsmask is comfortable, breathable and cooling.
- Athleta: These face covers offer a comfortable fit, adjustable ear straps and a fashionable design.
- Uniqlo: These three-layer, moisture-wicking masks include a filter, so if you’re headed to the indoor gym, these may help you feel more protected.
- Adidas: This brand’s comfortable masks are good for long-haul workouts that you can easily toss in the wash before your next run or big game.
- Keen: This canvas mask boasts great structure, which means that it will rest comfortably on your face and not get caught in your mouth..
Why are Jaanuu face masks a good option for working out?
Call us biased, but we love our Jaanuu face masks most—and for good reason.
They’re made from moisture-wicking, breathable, soft fabric treated with Silvadur™ technology, which provides antimicrobial coating to prevent the growth of bacteria, mold and mildew that may cause unpleasant odors, discoloration or deterioration of the fabric.
Our masks are also comfortable. Comfort is a major concern for workouts. You don’t want to feel the burn behind your ears when you’re already feeling the burn in your quads, and our masks feature soft, stretchable earloops. They also are lined with a breathable mesh.
Is it safe to wear a mask while exercising?
According to a recent Cleveland Clinic study,it is safe to wear a mask while exercising. In this study, 20 37-year-olds ran on a treadmill while alternating between wearing different types of masks. No drops in oxygen or heart rhythm issues were recorded.
If you have doubts, however, it’s always best to consult with a fellow medical professional or your favorite research journals, whether your question is about masking while doing your favorite workout or any other concern you may have about staying in shape.
How to wash Jaanuu facemasks and how often should they be washed
Something we’ve all had to learn during the coronavirus pandemic is how to wash a facemask effectively. Perhaps it’s a skill we never foresaw needing, but now we’ve had to add it to our laundry list of things to do (pardon the pun!).
Good news: Not only are our masks moisture-wicking, antimicrobial rock stars that provide excellent coverage, they’re also made from a mix of rayon, nylon, and spandex that you can machine wash and tumble dry. It’s as easy as one, two, three:
- Remove the mask.
- Toss it in the washing machine.
- Move it to the dryer.
- Mask up!
We hope this simple process helps you on your busiest day as a hardworking medical professional or after a particularly tiring workout.
If you’re into deep cleaning, we don’t blame you. Both the hospital and your local gym are places where you want to feel your freshest. Keep your gear in top shape by following our deep cleaning tutorial for disinfecting your scrubs and more.
We’re always looking out for those who work in the healthcare industry. You can use our masks everywhere, from the workplace to the gym and beyond. Our masks look good, feel good, and—with all that antibacterial protection—even smells good.